For Immediate Release
OHIO STATE PARK LODGES, April 24, 2014 – Five Ohio State Park Lodges are heralding the arrival of spring with an array of special packages and events.
“From indoor pool parties to pancake breakfasts, Ohio State Park Lodges are celebrating the arrival of spring,” said Hinch Knece manager of marketing for Xanterra Parks & Resorts’ Ohio State Park Lodges. “This is the time for Ohioans with an itch to shake those winter blues and enjoy an affordable, close-to-home getaway.”
The five Ohio State Park Lodges operated by Xanterra are located close to major Ohio cities and surrounding states, making it easy for families to gather from a variety of locations. Salt Fork Lodge is 12 miles from Cambridge near the I-70/I-77 interchange. Mohican Lodge is east of I-71 approximately 75 miles from both Columbus and Akron. Punderson Manor Lodge is 35 miles east of Cleveland and north of US-422. Maumee Bay Lodge is 12 miles east of Toledo and north of the Ohio Turnpike (I-80). Deer Creek Lodge is 35 miles south of Columbus and east of I-71.
Kids Stay and Eat Free
Through May 30, children ages 12 and under not only stay free but they can also eat three squares a day for free when dining in lodge restaurants with their parents. All lodge restaurants have kid-friendly menus, including plenty of healthy options. To book the Kids Stay & Eat Free promotion online, use the promotional code FAMILY. Blackout dates and other restrictions apply.
Discounts for A’s
The popular “Stays 4 A’s” program at five lodges in the central and northern parts of the state allows children to turn each A into a discount on the price of a lodge room or cottage.
Each A is worth a discount of $10 off the published rate per room per night, up to five A’s or $50. One report card per room may be applied for the discount, and families must present the original report card upon check-in. Families should use the promotional code STAY4A online to make reservations. Blackout dates and other restrictions apply.
There are also numerous special spring-season events and packages at or near Ohio State Park Lodges. For lodge reservations visit www.ohiostateparklodges.com or individual lodge web sites or call 1-800-AT-A-PARK (1-800-282-7275). Some packages require a promotional code.
Here is a sampling of events and packages:
- April 25-27. The 26th Annual Bigfoot Conference. There have been many sightings of the hairy beast in Salt Fork State Park. The conference includes a line-up of researchers and scholars providing the latest research and accounts of the big guy’s existence.
- Pool parties are a great way to celebrate birthdays and other special events, and the lodge makes it especially fun for young ones with a lot of energy. Priced at $175, the Food and Fun package includes swimming for up to 12 people for up to two hours, three large pizzas, drinks, chips and $10 in game arcade tokens. The Swim, Swim, Swim package is $100 and includes two hours of swimming for 12 people. Party-goers can also participate in cotton candy making, ice cream sundae making or other crafts for an additional fee.
- May 3-4. The Down on the Farm Fishing weekend includes a variety of farm and fishing activities from Friday night through Sunday afternoon. The weekend includes a farm-themed movie night, pontoon boat rides, staff-supervised kids activities, wagon rides, bonfires and a fish fry.
- May 9-10. The Salt Fork Spring Gospel Jubilee features live performances by a variety of gospel bands from around the country. This is a free event, and bands perform in the Salt Fork Ballroom on Friday and Saturday.
- April 24, May 8, 22, 29, and every Thursday in the summer. Punderson Haunted History Tours. This elegant Tudor mansion is said to be haunted, and the haunted history tours include details of reported occurrences, dinner and more ghost stories around a bonfire. Reservations are required for dinner before the 8:30 p.m. tour.
- April 27, May 4 and 18. All-You-Can-Eat Pancake Breakfasts. Springtime is sugaring season, and the locally made maple syrup is the featured attraction at Punderson Manor’s pancake breakfasts.
- Punderson Manor Horse & Carriage Tours are available for guests every Sunday from noon to 8 p.m. Carriages meander through the 741-acre park, and drivers provide riders with insights about the park’s history and wildlife.
- April 25-27. The 13th Annual Mohican Wildlife Weekend. This special weekend includes birding and bat tours, fly fishing and fly-tying demonstrations, a woodpecker walk, guided hikes, puppet show, children’s activities, birds-of-prey demonstration and more.
- May 31. Mohican 100-Mile Mountain Bike Race — One of the premier mountain bike races in Ohio, this 100-mile loop spans four counties and some of the most scenic areas of Mohican Country.
- Live birds-of-prey demonstrations are presented by members of the Ohio Bird Sanctuary every Saturday night in the lobby of Mohican Lodge. The group brings live hawks, owls and other predatory birds and provides information about bird habitats, behavior and challenges.
- April 26-May 23. Birdwatchers Black Swamp Special. Maumee Bay State Park Lodge is the perfect place to stay when experiencing the annual bird migration at the Lake Erie Marsh region of Northwest Ohio. Rates start at $94.99 per night plus tax for standard double rooms on Sunday through Thursday nights. Use promotional code BLACKSWAMP.
- May 14. International Migratory Bird Day. Participants meet at the Maumee Bay State Park Nature Center for a day of bird banding, guided hikes and slide show presentations by park naturalists. For more information call 1-419-836-9117.
- Memorial Day. The lodge is a great home base for celebrating Memorial Day weekend. The 27th Annual Memorial Day Festivities in nearby Circleville include a parade and ceremony.
All five lodges are open-year round and feature wide-ranging seasonal activities. Xanterra also operates the marina and facilities at Geneva Marina State Park in Geneva-on-the-Lake in northeastern Ohio.
For information about Ohio State Park Lodges visit the individual websites or www.ohiostateparklodges.com or call 1-800-282-7275. Travelers can also follow Ohio State Park Lodges on Facebook or Twitter.